With restaurants beginning to reopen in many major markets worldwide, business owners are taking all necessary steps to prevent the spread of Coronavirus. Contactless payments have become the norm in retail and hospitality environments, followed closely by the uptake of QR Code menus in the more responsible establishments.
Even the CDC in the United States makes clear its recommendations for the use of digital or disposable menus as a COVID-19 prevention measure:
“Provide disposable menus to guests and make menus available digitally so that customers can view on a personal electronic device, if possible. If disposable menus cannot be provided, properly disinfect menus before and after customer use. Consider options for customers to order ahead of time.” – CDC.
Of course, disposable printing menus are neither the most cost-effective nor environmentally-friendly option. Given that a QR Code menu can be created and updated in a matter of seconds, there’s no better choice for a Food Service environment in the current climate.
Why Should You Create a QR Code for Your Menu?
The value of QR Code menus lies in the growing importance of preventing the spread of germs, bacteria, and viruses through surface contamination. Traditional restaurant menus are handled continuously throughout the day by dozens, perhaps even hundreds of different people.
While it’s technically possible to clean and sterilize some types of conventional menus after each use, it is hardly a practical or convenient strategy. By creating a QR Code menu, you completely eliminate the requirement for physical menus in your restaurant. This, in turn, significantly reduces the risk of spreading illness through contact with contaminated surfaces.
All with the added bonus of enhancing and simplifying the customer experience while at the same time lightening the load for your staff.
Why Are Dynamic QR Codes Better for Your Menu?
Aside from supporting efforts to prevent Coronavirus transmission, there are various additional benefits to dynamic QR Code menus to consider. Examples of which include:
Saving time and money
All physical menus have to be replaced from time to time, which can become expensive long-term.
Easy and instant modifications
A digital menu also brings the benefit of being able to make all types of edits and modifications in an instant at any time.
A 100% contactless experience
Contactless interactions with customers hold the key to preventing the spread of germs, bacteria, and viruses of all kinds.
Reduced staff interaction requirement
Providing your customers with all the information they need using a QR Code frees up time for your staff to perform other duties.
Temporary adjustments to available items
The moment a popular dish sells out, you can remove it from your QR Code menu, so it no longer appears available.
Attractive images and visuals
Your QR Code menu can feature pictures of the dishes you sell and other images to improve the appeal of your offer in general. A QR Code menu essentially takes all the best elements of a traditional menu and brings them to life in a new and improved way. It’s also the most hygienic and convenient way of presenting your products to customers by a significant margin.
How Do Menu QR Codes Work in Restaurants?
The basics of how QR Code menus work in restaurants are surprisingly simple:
- You create your QR Code menu in a matter of seconds by filling out the fields online and uploading your chosen media.
- QR Codes can then be printed and placed around your restaurant, at the bar, in the kitchen, and outside for customers passing by.
- The customer then scans the QR Code to be presented with your current menu and full details of the menu items available.
- Their order is then placed with your waiting staff, with minimal interaction required and absolutely no physical contact.
QR Codes are also perfect for including on takeaway menus and where you advertise your restaurant in printed media. Anyone with a smartphone can simply scan the QR Code to access your current menu in real-time.
How to Create a QR Menu Simply?
Createqrmenu.io is one of the easiest tools on the web for creating a dynamic QR Menu in seconds.
All you need to do to set up your own QR Menu right now is follow these simple steps:
Step 1: Head to the Createqrmenu.io website.
Step 2: Choose your preferences in the online form.
Step 3: Add categories and menu items.
Step 4: Upload your logo and select your currency.
Step 5: Save your menu to generate your QR Code.
You will also be provided with a unique link, which you can then use to edit your menu instantaneously at any time using any connected device.
How to Scan a Menu QR Code at a Restaurant with Your Mobile Device?
Most mobile devices are set by default to scan QR Codessimply by pointing the camera at them in the normal way. If not, it is simply a case of opening the ‘Settings’ menu in your device’s camera and ensuring the ‘QR Code Reader’ setting is activated. After which, all you need to do is point your camera at the QR Code, and you will automatically be taken to the corresponding menu.
Five things You Need to Know Before Making Your QR Code
In order to get the best out of your QR Code menu, there are a few pointers to bear in mind while creating and editing it:
- Ensure that the QR code menu you create is smartphone friendly. This means making sure the text is clear and easy to read, distractions are kept to a minimum, and the menu loads as quickly as possible.
- Don’t get too creative with the colors of your QR Code menu if doing so is an option. Unless it is in the normal black and white format, it may be difficult or impossible for some devices to read it.
- That said, you can and should include a call to action (CTA) at the center of your QR Code menu. Something as simple as ‘Scan Me’ or ‘Scan for Menu’ can be useful for customers.
- Always test your QR Code menus across a wide variety of devices before finalizing them. Also, make sure they work perfectly across as many popular mobile operating systems as possible (iOS, Android, etc.)
- Avoid typos and grammatical errors at all costs, as they may discourage potential customers from doing business with your establishment. Always triple check the text in your QR Code menu before launching it.
QR Code menus are the menus of the future for most food service establishments, so it simply makes sense to get a head start. Particularly in today’s climate, anything you can do to show your customers you care about their health and safety is something you should be doing.